The Daily Pick

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Milton Glaser Comes to Some Conclusions



Milton Glaser is a long-time designer who created the (above) Bob Dylan image, the I Heart New York sticker, The AT&T logo and many other memorable, and often simple though not simplistic, designs. Anyways, over the years, he's come to some conclusions, especially about work. They are all detailed in "10 Things I Have Learned" by Milton Glaser. This is definitely worth a visit.

Number 1
YOU CAN ONLY WORK FOR PEOPLE THAT YOU LIKE.

It took me a long time to learn this rule because at the beginning of my practice I felt the opposite. Professionalism inferred that you didn’t necessarily have to like the people that you worked for, and should maintain an arms length relationship to them. As a result, I never had lunch with a client or saw them socially. Some years ago I realised that I was deluded. In looking back, I discovered that all the work I had done that was meaningful and significant came out of an affectionate relationship with a client. Affection, trust and sharing some common ground is the only way good work can be achieved. Otherwise it is a bitter and hopeless struggle

posted by Anonymous at 1:50 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment