The Daily Pick

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Exotic Dancers at Mount Holyoke College and Elsewhere



People often ask: Where do you find all this stuff? Half the time, I surf on Boing Boing or Waxy or Grow a Brain and just see what looks interesting. The other half of the time, things sort of fall my way in unpredictable fashion.

I was researching for my book about MFA programs. Sarah Gold had written an article on the subject. So I read that, then I googled her to see what else she'd written. She had this really interesting article about a woman who teaches exotic dancing and stripping to Mount Holyoke students. I knew I'd definitely post it on the pick.

So then I was looking for a somewhat tasteful image of exotic dancing and stripping (above), and on the first page along of the search engine I came across these:

FAQ: How to Become a Stripper. Yeah, it's just what it sounds like.

The Stripper Name Generator. You type in your name, and it gives you your stripper name. No joke. Mine is "Candi."

The Virtual Stripper. Type in a request like 'Dance' or 'Take off your (insert article of clothing)' and you can check out the results. This site is both offensive and sexist, so that brings us to...

The Feminist Stripper. Here, you'll find all sorts of articles including "Thank God I'm a Stripper" and "Sex Goddesses Over 30" and "Don't Patronize Me." For some reason, when you access the site it asks if you are an American and if you vote. Otherwise, it's completely normal.

All of these sites have to do with female strippers, and at some point here on the Pick, I'll work, in the interest of fairness, to balance that out a little.

Anyways, that's how the Daily Pick works. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
posted by Anonymous at 1:05 AM

3 Comments:

I teach girls how to become a stripper
Anonymous how to stripper, at 4:04 AM  
becoming a stripper is hard work and does require someone to teach
Anonymous howtostripper, at 4:06 AM  
Another great resource for women interested in becoming exotic dancers is an eBook called, "How To Be A Stripper: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know But Were Too Afraid To Ask."

It's written by a former exotic dancer and provides a lot of valuable information.
Anonymous Be An Exotic Dancer, at 1:08 PM  

Add a comment