The Daily Pick

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Mammatus Clouds in Nebraska?



Scott Hutchins sent me this site. It's a photosite of "Mammatus Clouds" in Nebraska. The site claims that they were featured in The Journal of Meteorology.

Now, I trust Scott Hutchins as much as I trust anyone, so that's not the issue. But I posted something on The Pick about clouds photographs back in February (and now of course I can't find it). In that case, some person had photoshopped a lot of weird looking clouds into the Australian landscape. They looked weird, and real, but they turned out to be fake.

Are these Mammatus Cloud photos real? Judge for yourself. I'm skeptical. But they definitely look cool.

Thanks Scott!

Update: Okay, so it was a tornado that was photoshopped in Australia. I blogged it here.

Update 2: Russ Franklin writes "
I know that Scott Hutchins writes fiction, and it will seem suspicious that another story teller comes to his defense, but mammatus clouds, or mammary clouds, are a real phenom. I saw clouds just like that preceeding a thunderstorm just this Friday in central Florida. They really do look udderly* spectacular when you see them. My vote ( )Not Real (X)Real."

Also, wikipedia does have an entry for Mammatus clouds here.


posted by Anonymous at 12:15 AM

1 Comments:

Russ Franklin, where are you in this crazy world? I've been trying to contact you for ages about your johnny weissmuller story. I can't find a copy anywhere and I need to read it again. please email me at picklebaron at hotmail dot com.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:54 PM  

Add a comment